Fort margerita was build on 1879 by the time of Brooke, to protect the town of Kuching from surprise attacks by a strong enemy, It's position by the river allowed defender an unobstructed view of surroundings. The Fort was also designed to aesthetically pleasing and add beauty of the town, The design look a like British building. The Fort now is a Police Museum.
Memory of J.Brooke Brooke wife, Julia Caroline died on 1862.
How Kuching City got its Name? The Sarawak river and whole state including Kuching town were fomerly known as Sarawak.
Kuching is a Malay word which means CAT and it is possible that in those days, cats were abundant along the Sarawak river bank, thus is was named Kuching. In 1839, James Brooke(the first white Rajah of Sarawak) referred the town as Kuching which might suggest to an old word Cochin or port, as in India or Indochina. In 1870s there was a river running through it known as 'Sungai Kuching' as it passed through a hill where there was a large growth of fruit trees locally known as 'Mata Kuching' /lsau/Green Longan(Dimacarpus Longan). Thus, it's settled that in 1876 the town become afficially known as Kuching.